Thursday, January 04, 2007

Akemashte Omedeto Gozaimasu!

Lazy, lazy, lazy girl! I am referring, of course to myself. I want to wish all and sundry a very Happy New Year and a great start to it. I guess better late than never, eh?! I am having to get used to dragging my carcass out of bed at 6:30 again...ooooh, no rest for the wicked!

In any case, as I told a mate o' mine, my 'New Year's Resolution' is to misbehave. I think it's high time for some fun. ;)

Last year ended on some high notes and a few low notes. The highs were singing in a gospel choir with my friend Pepe (after only 2 rehearsals!) - where as amateur singers we all sounded great together - I had forgotten how much I enjoyed singing in a choir - the feeling of being a part of a bigger sound...it's inspiring; my mate T's Christmas party - so much fun! T really knows how to bring people together for a great shindig; meeting up with friends to hand out gifts, or to take them to see a film (a gift idea of mine). I have to say that at the end of that week, I was about to collapse! I was so GRATEFUL that I was granted those 3 days of unpaid leave from work. I really needed the zzzz.

There were lows of course. One of which was the result of misunderstandings and overly high expectations.
The other was the passing of our cat Elsa, who had to be put down on the 23rd of December. Mum and I were in tears when we took her to the vet. The poor thing was dying in front of us, and she was beyond the point of no return. Mum was devastated, because that feline was the craziest, most psychotic, talkative, adorable stray you could ever hope to meet. As my mate Nicky once described her, 'A fine figure of a cat.' She was left by the previous owners of the house, and so Mum in her infinite kindness decided to feed and make friends with the furry black terror. It was a friendship that lasted for nearly 10 years. Hard to believe that so much time has passed and that we will no more see those 2 little black ears through the glass door, waiting to be fed, or hear the strange gutteral cry heralding a present in the shape of a dead mouse. Rest in Peace Elsa, there is no cat like you, and you are much missed.

Mina-san (everybody), do your best this year. Be bold, be brave, and most of all - be adventurous! If not now...when? I will try to do my best too; after all, practise what you preach, eh?

Gambatte!

No comments: